One of the most commonly discussed issues at the dentist’s office is flossing. While people may get tired of hearing about flossing, it can’t be overlooked. In order for flossing to be effective, it must be done properly. While it’s recommended that you floss every time you brush, it’s critical you floss at least once a day. Some of the important tips regarding flossing from Providence Dentistry that everyone needs to keep in mind include:
• Make sure to use enough floss. Use about 18 inches each time
• Wrap the floss around the middle fingers of each hand
• Grasp the floss tightly between the thumb and the second finger. This will provide the most control over the floss while in use.
• Use a rubbing motion between the teeth. Make sure to guide the floss down the sides of each tooth.
• As the floss gets close to the gum line, form the floss into the shape of a “C.” Use this “C” shape to clean the sides of the tooth.
Try to use a fresh section of floss for each tooth. This will prevent the food residue from being picked up and deposited in other locations in the mouth.
In addition to regular checkups, there are other warnings signs that people may need to see a dentist. These include sudden mouth pain, facial swelling, and bleeding of the gums with flossing and brushing that won’t stop. As always, don’t hesitate to ask for suggestions on how to improve your oral health or flossing techniques at your next routine visit. Schedule your dental appointment today with Providence Dentistry by calling 704.846.1401.